Canada’s metals & mining industry saw a drop of 5.4% in overall deal activity during January 2020, when compared with the last 12-month average.
According to GlobalData’s deals database, a total of 35 deals worth $43.61m were announced in January 2020, compared to the 12-month average of 37 deals.
M&A was the leading category in the month in terms of volume with 32 deals which accounted for 91.4% of all deals, followed by private equity with three deals accounted for 8.6% of overall deal activity in the country’s metals & mining industry during the month.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading deal category in Canada’s metals & mining industry with total deals worth $23.37mn, while private equity deals totalled $20.24mn.
Canada metals & mining industry: top deals in January 2020
The top five metals & mining industry deals accounted for 73.7% of the overall value during January 2020.
The combined value of the top five metals & mining deals stood at $32.12mn, against the overall value of $43.61mn recorded for the month.
The top five metals & mining industry deals of January 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
- Portal Capital’s $17.8mn private equity deal with North American Helium
- The $7.12mn asset transaction with Legault Metals and Ressources Jessie by Dore Copper Mining
- Palisades Goldcorp’s $2.61mn acquisition of Mexican Gold Mining
- The $2.43mn asset transaction with First Mining Gold by Auteco Minerals
- Pacton Gold’s asset transaction with TomaGold for $2.16mn.