Royal Canadian Mint Celebrates 75th Anniversary of V-E Day o
OTTAWA, Ontario, Jan. 8, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Seventy-five years after Canadian soldiers and their allies liberated Western Europe in the closing months of the Second World War, the Royal Canadian Mint is dedicating its annual Proof Silver Dollar to their memory. This exceptional collectible features the artwork of accomplished coin designer Pandora Young, who has vividly illustrated the outpouring of emotion of civilians cheering the victorious troops. In tribute to each military branch, the distinct silhouettes of a sailor, soldier and airman stand out in a mirror-like finish before a thankful crowd. A large "V" for victory at the centre of the coin and a 1945-2020 double date complete the design. This same illustration appears in the 2020 Fine Silver Proof Set, which features selective gold plating on the "V" and the rim of the Proof Silver Dollar. That special coin accompanies 99.99% pure silver versions of Canada's 2020 circulation coins. These memorable keepsakes, and many others offered in the first product launch of 2020, are available as of today.
The airman's silhouette from the 2020 Proof Silver Dollar transforms into an exquisitely detailed engraving on the 2020 $100 14-Karat Gold Coin – 75th Anniversary of V-E Day. The reverse design by Guelph, Ontario artist Laurie McGaw is a V-E Day salute to the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF). Against a "V" for Victory backdrop, a wing commander is flanked by a pilot on his right and a waving member of the RCAF Women's Division on his left. The pilot flashes a victory sign and the commander raises his hand to salute as a Spitfire fighter plane flies overhead.
The Mint highlights another chapter in Canadian history on the 2020 $200 Pure Gold Coin – Early Canadian History: New France, designed by artist Alan Daniel. It depicts New France pioneer Louis Hébert and his family clearing land to grow crops for Samuel de Champlain's Habitation, the 1608 settlement that would become Quebec City. Daniel has derived the location of Hébert's land from Champlain's own drawing of his settlement, with the fortifications visible in the background of the coin's design.
Other products launching this month, including several perennial favourites, include:
- The 2020 Classic Canadian Uncirculated Set;
- The 2020 Gift Sets, celebrating the themes "Born in 2020", "Married in 2020", "Happy Birthday" and "O Canada";
- The 2020 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Best Wishes on your Wedding Day, featuring a heart-shaped design by artist Sylvie Daigneault selectively plated in pink gold;
- The 2020 $10 Fine Silver Coin– Welcome to the World;
- The $3 Fine Silver Coin – Celebration of Love, featuring a crystal–enhanced bouquet of colourful flowers designed by Anna Bucciarelli;
- The 2020 $200 Pure Gold Coin – Canadian Coastal Symbols: The Atlantic, designed by Cathy Bursey-Sabourin and crafted of 99.999% pure gold;
- The 2020 $50 Fine Silver Coin – Real Shapes: The Bluenose, a schooner-shaped coin celebrating the timeless Emanuel Hahn design of Canada's 10-cent circulation coin;
- The 1/25 oz. 2020 $8 Pure Gold Coin – Lucky Flower Dragon, designed by artist Jai Paek;
- The 2020 $125 Fine Silver Coin – Lucky Dragon, a half-kilo, selectively gold-plated coin designed by Simon Ng; and
- The crystal-enhanced 2020 $5 Fine Silver Coin – Birthstones: February, featuring the artwork of Pandora Young.
All of these products can be ordered directly from the Mint at 1-800-267-1871 in Canada, 1-800-268-6468 in the US, or on the Mint's web site. The coins are also available at Royal Canadian Mint boutiques in Ottawa and Winnipeg, as well as through our global network of dealers and distributors, including participating Canada Post outlets.
About the Royal Canadian Mint
The Royal Canadian Mint is the Crown corporation responsible for the minting and distribution of Canada's circulation coins. The Mint is recognized as one of the largest and most versatile mints in the world, offering a wide range of specialized, high quality coinage products and related services on an international scale. For more information on the Mint, its products and services, visit www.mint.ca. Follow the Mint on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
For further information: Alex Reeves, Senior Manager, Public Affairs, Tel: (613) 884-6370, [email protected]
SOURCE Royal Canadian Mint