May 17, 2020

Resource assement of Penobsquis potash mine commissioned

Potash mines
Penobsquis Potash mine
PotashCorp
Dale Benton
2 min
Resource assement of Penobquis potash mine commissioned
A resource assessment of the levels of potash remaining in a Canadian mine has been announced, following its closure last year.

The Penobsquis potash m...

A resource assessment of the levels of potash remaining in a Canadian mine has been announced, following its closure last year.

The Penobsquis potash mine, owned by PotashCorp, was shut down in November last year and now the New Brunswick Department of Energy and Mines says it will commission a resource assessment to determine how much potash remains at the site. The report will also explore what potential there is for future mining of potash should the price of potash rise to a profitable level.

A third part consultant will be brought in to carry out the resource assessment.

"As responsible managers of our province's resources, we have an obligation to review and fully understand what, if any, potential resource remains in the Penobsquis potash deposit," said Energy and Mines Minister Donald Arseneault.

It is expected to take up to three months for the full assessment to be completed.

Director of PotashCorp’s communications, Randy Burton, believes the closure and subsequent assessment is the way forward.

"The mine's not economic now and hasn't been for some time, and it's an expensive proposition to continue pumping it out,"

"So this is obviously part of the process of closing the mine, and that's what this environmental impact assessment is all about, to determine the conditions under which it'll be discontinued and operations wrapped up."

Following the report findings, the mine would then be flooded.

"We believe that some of the remaining ore would be accessible from the Picadilly mine if and when it were economic to mine," said Burton.

"It's not economic now and we don't foresee a time when it would be." He added.

Follow @MiningGlobal

Read the May 2016 issue of Mining Global magazine 

Share article

May 13, 2021

BHP, Rio Tinto & Vale launch Charge On Innovation Challenge

BHP
Vale
Rio Tinto
Charge On Innovation Challenge
3 min
BHP, Rio Tinto & Vale launch 'Charge On' Innovation Challenge - a competition for tech innovators to reduce truck emissions via electrification

Mining giants BHP, Vale and Rio Tinto have launched the 'Charge On' Innovation Challenge to solve one of the biggest challenges the industry faces today - decarbonising mining operations.

'Charge On' Innovation Challenge

In partnership with Austmine, Australia's leading mining equipment, technology and services industry association, founding patrons BHP, Vale and Rio Tinto have launched the competition to encourage technology innovators to develop new concepts for large-scale haul truck electrification systems. The main goal is cutting emissions from surface mining operations.

“The mining industry needs to be at the forefront of tackling the climate challenge. The Charge On Innovation Challenge is a great example of the current collaborative work being done by the mining industry and mobile equipment manufacturers to decarbonise mining fleets,” the trio said in a media statement.

“In addition to providing a zero-carbon energy source, the conversion of mobile mining equipment to battery-electric can potentially unlock value, as electric motors have fewer moving parts when compared to standard equipment.”

A number of non-traditional mining sector vendors are actively developing technologies that can assist in mine electrification. By submitting a Challenge to the market, the Patrons of Charge On expect to:

  • Demonstrate there is an emerging market for charging solutions in mining
  • Accelerate commercialization of solutions
  • Indicate to suppliers, the mining industry seeks interoperable solutions
  • Maintain multiple actors and competition in the supply chain
  • Integrate innovations from other sectors into the mining sector

"We expect some solutions identified in the Challenge could provide propulsion to existing diesel-electric trucks. This may present a pathway to early implementation for dynamic charging solutions," the trio said.

Charge On

Paris Agreement

Found patrons BHP, Vale and Rio Tinto are pledging their commitment to fighting climate change:

"The mining industry has an important role to reduce emissions and do our part to achieve the Paris Agreement goals to limit the impacts of climate change."

The Charge On Innovation Challenge asks vendors to present interoperable solutions that can safely deliver electricity to large battery-electric off-road haul trucks in a way that maintains or improves current productivity levels. Specifically, mechanisms capable of delivering in the order of 400kWh of electricity to each truck within a haul cycle (ie load, travel, dump, return, queue). The delivered electricity is to charge a battery, and if applicable directly propel the truck.

Austmine CEO Christine Gibbs Stewart commented: “We expect the Challenge will attract companies from a broad range of sectors including mining, automotive, aerospace, agriculture, and defence to deliver selected charging concepts to create a standard product that can interface with all trucks."

More information about the challenge will be released on May 18.

Electrification

The competition echoes growing efforts being made across the industry to tackle emmissions and promote electrification. In march this year, the Electric Mine Consortium was launched. It's founding members include Gold Fields, Dassualt Systemes and Sandvik who pledged their commitment to decarbonising mining operations.

Share article