Headquartered: Johannesburg, South Africa
CEO: Alberto Calderon
Website: AngloGold Ashanti Ltd.
Who is AngloGold Ashanti?
The original company, AngloGold Limited was formed in June 1998 and led gold mining operations in the interest of Anglo American. Following its founding, AngloGold became the first South African company to list on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and later became Angold Gold Ashanti. As of March 2009, Anglo American had sold its remaining stake in the company and has since become the third-largest gold mining organisation in the world.
The company dedicates its efforts towards providing value for its stakeholders and encouraging responsible exploration and mining operations. Its values are centred around the safety and well-being of its employees, encouraging diversity in the workplace, and supporting local communities.
‘To fulfil our purpose and mission, we have in place an integrated, robust business model and a strategy which aims to sustain value creation in the longer term. We endeavour to maintain flexibility in strategic decision making to respond to a dynamic operating environment and unpredictable economic and commodity cycles’, says AngloGold.
Five strategic focus points for the future
As the company has flourished into one of the largest of its kind, AngloGold is in good stead to focus on its five key strategic goals:
- As one of the main focus points for the business, it continually strives to develop its sustainability initiatives and support the people within the business, by taking responsibility for its environmental impacts and engaging with stakeholders
- AngloGold will create a more flexible financial standing for its business
- Thoroughly scrutinising its expenditure to optimise its financial performance
- Managing its portfolio of assets to ensure efficiency and provide value to the company
- Efficient processes will allow AngloGold to remain competitive in the mining industry.
To find out more about AngloGold Ashanti and its business strategies, click here.
For more mining insights, check out the latest issue of Mining Global Magazine.