Caterpillar launches world’s first smartphone with thermal imaging
With over 90 years of experience in the toughest industries imaginable, equipment-maker Caterpillar Inc. is now leveraging that expertise into its latest innovation: the CAT S60 smartphone. The new Android-based device is the world's first smartphone with an integrated thermal camera from FLIR, a global leader in thermal imaging technology, and features 32GB of onboard storage, 3GB of RAM, and a Snapdragon Octa-core processor.
The CAT S60 also incorporates Caterpillar’s signature rugged and dependable appeal. The smartphone is designed to exceed the military’s 810G drop test specifications and is equipped with a die cast steel frame with a Corning Gorilla Glass 4 touchscreen -- unlike your typical iPhone. The new S60 is also the world’s most waterproof smartphone, able to handle depths of up to 16 feet for one hour.
Additional key features include:
• Thermal imaging camera, powered by FLIR
• Strengthened Die Cast Frame
• Drop proof to 1.8m, MIL Spec 810G
• Super bright display (typical 540 nits), Gorilla Glass 4
• 4.7” HD capacitive multi-touch with auto wet finger & glove support
• Optimized battery performance (3800mAh)
• High quality audio experience (>105dB)
• Underwater 13MP main camera with dual flash, 5MP front-facing camera
• 4G LTE
• Snapdragon 617 Octa-core processor
• 32GB ROM, 3GB RAM
• Android Marshmallow
According to FLIR, integrating its heat sensitive technology -- which utilizes a Lepton sensor that allows the camera to see in total darkness -- was no easy task.
“We faced our biggest technological obstacles three years ago during our research and development of the Lepton camera module that’s embedded into the CAT S60,” said FLIR SVP of Global Product Strategy, Jeff Frank.
“Before Lepton, thermal imaging cores were both large and too expensive for mobile integration. Our goal with Lepton was to build a smaller core at a lower cost, and we accomplished that with Lepton.
“Today, we see the fruits of that labor now in the announcement of the CAT S60.”